The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation (GOLDOC) has announced the Australian Celebration Communities that the Queen’s Baton will visit and called for thousands of local legends to carry the Baton across Australia in the lead up to the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018).
With only eight days until the Queen’s Baton Relay (QBR) sets off from London on an extraordinary journey through the entire Commonwealth, nominations are now open for Australians to take part in this historic journey.
Across Australia 3,800 batonbearers are needed to share the dream of the ‘friendly Games’ as part of the QBR.
The Queen’s Baton will travel through Australia for 100 days from 25 December 2017.
Australia’s remarkable landscapes and diverse cultures will come to life as the Baton spends time in every state and territory on its way to the Games’ Opening Ceremony on 4 April 2018.
In Queensland the Baton will visit 83 communities from Saturday 3 March to Wednesday 4 April 2018.
For the first time in relay history, the Baton will explore Queensland’s northernmost reaches of Hammond Island in the Torres Strait. And in another first, the Baton will island hop to Kangaroo Island in South Australia.
Batonbearers will be selected through a public nomination program and collectively take more than a million steps before the Baton arrives on the Gold Coast for the start of the Games.
From today until 15 May 2017, anyone can nominate a person who inspires them to be great. Nominations can be made at gc2018.com/qbr
GC2018 are looking for people who:
- Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community; or
- Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
- Are an Australian citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).